Friday, October 5, 2007

First Ammendment Rights in the Military Shorn Away With the Hair

We received a call from our daughter-in-law Haley last night telling us that our son Joel had safely arrived at his base to begin his enlistment with the Navy. She was told that his family would not be allowed to write to him until he has permission for them to do so. Someone with a uniform and a Napoleon complex stood by his shoulder and told him exactly what to say. Haley said that she could tell that Joel was surprised and unhappy with this turn of events. Obviously this is not what the jolly recruiter sells to young folks looking for a way to pay school loans and earn a steady pay check. In fact, it occurs to me that this is why the Bush administration won't spent any money for education; it's a good way to beef up the military through desperation.
My father was a Marine recruiter for nearly all of my life with him. (He died in a single car accident when I was 16, a result of his intoxication. He was an alchoholic from the time of his return from Vietnam until his death.) In the last few years of his life he switched his "MO" to corrections and was a warden at the brig at the Marine Corp Training Depot in San Diego. I remember clearly his fretting over meeting his monthy quota. They sell a good line of bull and laugh with each other about it. Don't get me wrong, I still love my dad and miss him desperately. He never got to meet a single one of his grandchildren or see me graduate from high school or walk me down the aisle when I was married. I am now 9 years older than he was when he died. I have been married for 12 more years than my parents were. But, I sure understand his need to self medicate.
I know that boot camp is all about turning individuals into a unit. They do this by breaking down the individual and blanket punishment meant to either bring together or tear apart the group. (My father was a drill instructor fro a brief time when I was very young.) Their reasoning is that the robots need to be able to follow orders without question. At times, if the commander is a decent one, it could mean the difference between life and death. It also takes away from each and every one of the human beings in the unit.
One of the possitive things about my father's death is it took me away from a military base setting and put me into a situation where I learned to question, ALWAYS question, authority. My background of being raised to consider the group made me aware that there was a huge segment of the population that was not being represented by the government in charge. I saw through the lies we were being told. I understood the effort the government was making to generate fear and paranoia. The only difference between then and now is that then Communists were coming to get us, now it's terrorists. So much bull shit.
I was reading on Truthout (www.truthout.org) this morning an article from the Seattle Post Intellegencer about Ehren Watada, a young man that was able to hang on to enough of his individuality to refuse to be deployed to Iraq. He considers the invasion illegal, which it is. Are we having fun now, supporting illegal actions by our government with our tax dollars? Also, we can pay to prosecute a young man who is brave enough to point out the hypocrisy and immorality of it all.
My guess is that Joel was kept from actually having a conversation because of the embarassing revelations made by those darned soldiers that tattled to the world about abuse, torture, rape and other injustices commited in the name of "not having to fight this war on our soil". I hope my Joel will become one of the tattlers. He is bright and articulate and I hope that he takes careful note of everything that goes on.
In the mean time I complain on at least monthly basis to the powers that be. One of my favorite whipping boys is U. S. Rep. Greg Walden from our district. This guy apparently has had a microchip implanted by the Bushies. If it's morally repusive, he'll support it. About two weeks ago there was an article in our local paper that had Rep. Walden whining about the lack of Federal funding for one of his pet projects. I couldn't just shut up. I emailed and asked him where he thought the Federal tax dollars were all going. No response.
Anyway, keep a positive thought for the loved ones of those who have made the stupid choce of enlisting in the military. Stupid or not we love them anyway. And if you have the chance remind everyone that the first ammenment still is in effect unless there was a "judicial opinion" to the contrary!

31 comments:

Norm said...

Hi there,
It's good to see another Unionite blogging and I can relate to your feelings about the church, Bush, Walden and the sorry state we find ourselves in. Keep your spirits up, Norm

Snave said...

I'll be thinking good thoughts for Joel. Scheise... what a dehumanizing experience...

Five and Dime said...

Thank you Norm and Snave. It's good to feel that there is some support out there in the world. I haven't heard from Joel since I last wrote (about 2 weeks ago). I understand that if the letter looks at all suspicious that they will open it and possibly make the recruit read it out loud. I had pryed the last letter open because something I had included had accidentally fallen out. I then taped it shut. The contents of the letter weren't exactly complimentary to the government or the military.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

Anonymous said...

valium no prescription overnight side effects generic valium - valium 10mg street price

Anonymous said...

diazepam online diazepam 10mg nq - diazepam nasal spray

Anonymous said...

ativan online ativan high liver enzymes - ativan side effects elderly patients

Anonymous said...

ambien zolpidem zolpidem tartrate user reviews - zolpidem price

Anonymous said...

diazepam online where to buy diazepam in the usa - diazepam online purchase usa

Anonymous said...

buy zolpidem zolpidem tartrate side effects long term - buy zolpidem sleeping tablets usa

Anonymous said...

ativan cost ativan water soluble - lorazepam 1 mg daily

Anonymous said...

xanax no rx xanax overdose milligrams - xanax bars blue lotus review

Anonymous said...

lorazepam drug ativan side effects on elderly - ativan 1mg tablets

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam online no prescription diazepam 5mg to get high - drug class for diazepam

Anonymous said...

buy ativan ativan and alcohol experience - ativan generic brand name

Anonymous said...

generic xanax does xanax show up school drug test - the drug xanax use

Anonymous said...

cheapest ativan lorazepam 1 mg side effects - lorazepam 1 mg nebenwirkungen

Anonymous said...

buy alprazolam xanax side effects overdose - buy xanax online no script

Anonymous said...

where can i buy xanax online legally xanax withdrawal valerian - xanax side effects anxiety

Anonymous said...

cheap diazepam diazepam valium drug - diazepam make you high

Anonymous said...

online xanax xanax overdose and death - buying xanax online reviews

Anonymous said...

where to buy ambien online ambien pill sleeping - ambien many get high

Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium vs klonopin high - buy valium by roche online

Anonymous said...

carisoprodol online dragonica online soma - where to buy soma underwear

Anonymous said...

where to buy valium what is valium half life - valium taper schedule

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online without prescription ambien and alcohol dangers - ambien pill cost

Anonymous said...

buy soma soma online prescription - somanabolic muscle maximizer user reviews

Anonymous said...

buy valium online how long does a valium pill last - valium and zoloft side effects

Anonymous said...

buy generic ambien ambien 74 teva - buy herbal ambien

Anonymous said...

valium anxiety 5mg valium with alcohol - valium pharmacy uk

Anonymous said...

The quantity does not go beyond one thousand kilos and the expression of personal loan is also only two weeks usually in the news An external Phylon midsole provides light and portable cushioning and a responsive ride